200 drivers a day caught using phones on UK roads after crackdown
In four weeks from 1 March when penalties were doubled, police recorded 5,977 instances of driving while calling or texting.
More than 200 drivers a day were caught using their mobile phones illegally in the wake of a crackdown on the practice.
Police forces in Britain penalised almost 6,000 motorists for the offence in the four weeks after tougher punishments took effect, equivalent to one every seven minutes.
Campaigners said the findings suggested many drivers were ignoring repeated warnings about the dangers of using phones at the wheel despite a string of publicity campaigns and the risk of harsher sanctions.
Other Incidents Include
Incidents reported by police after the tougher penalties were introduced include:
• A man was spotted doing his online banking while driving on the M5 motorway near Birmingham.
• Norfolk police stopped a woman who was responding to a message about her lost puppy being found.
• A lorry driver was fined for texting on the M2 in Kent.
• A 7.5-tonne lorry was driven around a roundabout in Bournemouth by a man using his phone.
• A driver was on his phone while behind the wheel of a school minibus with 10 children on board in Manchester.
For more on this story, please click here.
Getting On ‘The Right Road’
Whatever your level of driving experience Surrey Driving Force can offer driving lessons in Surrey to suit you and which will help to instil the ‘right’ driving habits.
From driving tests to refresher courses, our friendly and experienced instructors will help you to achieve your goal quickly and affordably.
- Competitive rates
- Friendly, patient and fully qualified Driving Instructors
- Test success in as few lessons as possible
- Convenient pick-ups from home, work or school
- New, air-conditioned, dual control cars
- Reduced driving lesson prices when you block book
- Driving lessons seven days a week
As Well As Surrey Driving Lessons We Offer:
- Intensive Courses
- Mock Practical Tests
- Pass Plus
- Motorway Driving Training
- Refresher Training
- Taxi Driver Training
- Advanced Driver Training
- ADI Training – ADI Part 1, ADI Part 2, ADI Part 3