You must do several things before you drive a car or ride a motorcycle. These include getting a driving licence, registering, insuring and taxing your vehicle, and getting an MOT.
Before you drive or ride
- have the correct driving licence
- be the minimum driving or riding age
- meet the minimum eyesight rules
- be supervised by a qualified driver (except if riding a motorcycle)
- display L plates (L plates or D plates in Wales)
The vehicle must:
- be registered with DVLA
- have up to date vehicle tax (check if your vehicle is taxed online)
- have a current MOT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)
- be roadworthy
You must also have a minimum of third party insurance that covers your use of the vehicle.
Changes to personal or vehicle details
You must tell DVLA if you:
- change your name or address
- make any alterations to your vehicle
- sell your vehicle
- have or develop a medical condition
Driving larger vehicles or buses
There are higher medical and eyesight standards for driving larger vehicles.
You must tell DVLA if you have any driving convictions.
If you’re applying for a passenger-carrying vehicle (PCV) licence then you must also tell DVLA if you have any other convictions.
Showing your driving documents
If a police officer asks you to, you must be able to show:
- your driving licence
- a valid insurance certificate
- a valid MOT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)
If you don’t have the documents with you at the time, you may be asked to take them to a police station within 7 days.
For more information, please click here.
Getting On ‘The Right Road’
Whatever your level of driving experience Surrey Driving Force can offer driving lessons in Surrey to suit you. From driving tests to refresher courses, our friendly and experienced instructors will help you to achieve your goal quickly and affordably.
- Competitive rates
- Friendly, patient and fully qualified Driving Instructors
- Test success in as few lessons as possible
- Convenient pick-ups from home, work or school
- New, air-conditioned, dual control cars
- Reduced driving lesson prices when you block book
- Driving lessons seven days a week
As Well As Surrey Driving Lessons We Offer:
- Intensive Courses
- Mock Practical Tests
- Pass Plus
- Motorway Driving Training
- Refresher Training
- Taxi Driver Training
- Advanced Driver Training
- ADI Training – ADI Part 1, ADI Part 2, ADI Part 3
Theory Test Pro – FREE!
Surrey Driving Force students have full access to premium content via Theory Test Pro whilst learning with us. This is a great resource and really helps our students pass their theory test first time. It’s also available as a free app to download on iPhone or Android, where again you can access the premium content.