Drivers behind the wheel of cars with faulty headlights could be fined up to £1,000 if they’re pulled over by the police.
A recent study by Halfords found that 4.6million cars in the UK have broken or defective headlights.
Shockingly, around 7 per cent of drivers admitted to never checking that their lights are in working order.
Failing to keep your headlights in a decent condition can affect its brightness, which can drastically impact your ability to see at night and during winter conditions.
Under the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, “No person shall use … on a road a vehicle unless every lamp, reflector, rear marking and device … is in good working order and, in the case of a lamp, clean.”
How to make sure your headlights are in working order
- Turn on your car and switch on the headlights
- To ensure they are in working condition, wait until dark and park your car on an even surface facing a wall.
- Walk around to the front of the vehicle and make sure the lights are bright and working.
- If one bulb is dimmer or blown, you may need to replace both bulbs as the other is likely to follow shortly.
- If replacing the bulbs doesn’t work, the issue is most likely a faulty connection which will need to be repaired by a mechanic.
For more on this story, please click here.
Getting On ‘The Right Road’
Whatever your level of driving experience Surrey Driving Force can offer driving lessons in Surrey to suit you. From driving tests to refresher courses, our friendly and experienced instructors will help you to achieve your goal quickly and affordably.
- Competitive rates
- Friendly, patient and fully qualified Driving Instructors
- Test success in as few lessons as possible
- Convenient pick-ups from home, work or school
- New, air-conditioned, dual control cars
- Reduced driving lesson prices when you block book
- Driving lessons seven days a week
As Well As Surrey Driving Lessons We Offer:
- Intensive Courses
- Mock Practical Tests
- Pass Plus
- Motorway Driving Training
- Refresher Training
- Taxi Driver Training
- Advanced Driver Training
- ADI Training – ADI Part 1, ADI Part 2, ADI Part 3
Theory Test Pro – FREE!
Surrey Driving Force students have full access to premium content via Theory Test Pro whilst learning with us. This is a great resource and really helps our students pass their theory test first time. It’s also available as a free app to download on iPhone or Android, where again you can access the premium content.