Once you have passed your driving test with Surrey’s number one driving school, the next step is to get your own car. However, as we all know, keeping a car on the road can be an expensive job and because of this, we have drawn up a list of ways to keep petrol costs down to an absolute minimum.
Average Price of a Tank of Petrol
According to a report by the AA/Populus, some motorists are being forced to take drastic action to stay on the roads due to the fact that many drivers are now having to pay approximately £62 to fill up their petrol tank.
The study also revealed the lengths that some drivers are having to go to just in order pay for petrol costs with young motorists being the most vulnerable and are most likely to sell wares to cover costs.
Eco Driving Tips To Save Fuel
With the cost of fuel so high, it is important to do everything you can to cut down on consumption. To help you do this, here are 7 quick tips:
- Keep Luggage To a Minimum – Did you know that fuel efficiency drops by around 2% for each 100 lbs of weight carried? Therefore keeping excess weight out of the car can help petrol to go that extra mile.
- Don’t Speed! – Who’d have thought it, the faster you go the more petrol that you use!!! Driving 70 mph instead of 80 mph will reduce fuel consumption by as much as 25%!
- Make Sure Tyres Are Inflated – Having tyres inflated to the correct levels will ensure that your vehicles efficiency does not drop.
- Only Top Up When Necessary – A full tank of petrol adds to the weight of the car and makes the car heavier than necessary.
- Open The Windows Instead – Air conditioning can be a godsend during the summer but if also significant increases the workload for the engine.
- Don’t Over Rev The Engine – High gears use less fuel.
- Multi-task – try to run as many errands as possible in one trip. The more trips you make, the more fuel you’ll use.
If you would like any further details regarding the driving tuition available from Surrey Driving Force, please give us a call on 0845 190 2012 & we’ll be happy to answer any of your questions.
Currently Browsing: 7 Tips To Improve Driving Economy